Advances in gum grafting techniques have made it possible to beautifully cover exposed roots of teeth. Esthetic root coverage grafting can be performed using either connective tissue from the palate or AlloDerm, a tissue obtained from a tissue bank. Gumline restorations can often be removed and replaced with gum grafts that attach to root surfaces and protect them from abrasion or erosion.
Connective tissue grafts offer the benefit of regenerating new gum tissue to cover exposed roots but require harvesting tissue from the palate. AlloDerm grafts are recommended when teeth with recession have adequate zones of gum tissue. The AlloDerm is positioned over the exposed root and the gum tissue then repositioned over the AlloDerm. The AlloDerm functions as a lining under the gums that is replaced with fibrous connective tissue as the graft heals. Biologics such as Platelet Rich Plasma, or PRP, and Emdogain are used to promote healing and obtain the best results possible.
AlloDerm grafts, donated from a tissue bank, are very natural looking and are ideal to cover exposed roots when the teeth have adequate gum tissue. AlloDerm functions as a lining under the gums that is replaced with fibrous connective tissue as the graft heals.
Before and after photos of Alloderm Grafts performed by Dr. White
Connective tissue grafts are placed into pouches or tunnels and generate new gum tissue that blends with adjacent tissue and is very natural looking. Connective tissue grafts are usually placed in areas of esthetic concern or when regeneration of gum tissue is needed to cover exposed roots.
Before and after photos of Connective Tissue Grafts performed by Dr. White
- WHY CHOOSE CHARLES A. WHITE PERIODONTICS AND DENTAL IMPLANTS FOR GRAFTING:
- Dr. White has over 30 years of experience in grafting, by far the most in Northwest Arkansas.
- Dr. White trained at Baylor College of Dentistry with leaders in the development of root coverage grafting.
- Utilizing their vast experience in grafting with both palatal donor tissue and AlloDerm grafting material, you can trust Dr. White to develop a custom treatment plan to obtain the best results possible with the least amount of trauma.
- Our practice utilizes biologic products, including platelet rich plasma and Emdogain to enhance grafting results.
- Patients are charged one fee for completion of the grafting project. Any revisions that might be needed are gladly performed for no additional cost to the patient.
- Every gum graft must provide a stable zone of gum tissue to keep the gumline non-mobile and healthy and prevent future recession
- Every gum graft should provide as much root coverage as possible
- In the esthetic zone, every gum graft must look natural
Our philosophy for grafting is simple:
For more information about Root Coverage Grafting, CLICK HERE to visit the website of the American Academy of Periodontology.